Using the extra storage from Google can be very beneficial for both you and your family.
But that’s only possible if you are aware of the right way to utilize the extra storage properly.
How to share your Google one storage with your family?
Well, just because you’ve established family sharing with your Google account, you don’t automatically start to share your extra storage from Google One. You’ve got to turn it on.
Normally we get to use 15 GB of space with the free Google drive. And if you use the paid service you can get tremendous storage of up to 2TB.
That you can use for photos, drive, and other Google products. It also allows you to share the storage with up to five family members.
Plans begin at 100GB for $1.99 a month or $19.99 a year. If that’s not enough, you can go up to 2TB for $9.99 a month / $99.99 a year, or if you’ve really got a lot of stuff to store, plans go up to 30TB for $149.99 a month.
The Google One page includes a tool to help free up storage space.
(If you’re still on a free Google account and don’t want to switch yet, you can go to the Google One page to take advantage of a tool that may help you free up some extra storage space, although you’ll have to withstand the strong urgings to buy into Google One.)
Therefore if you wish to share the extra storage, you’ll have to create a shared family group.
Let’s go through the step-by-step process.
Step by step process to enable storage sharing
- Go to Google’s family plan page and click on “Get started.”
- In order to share storage space, you have to first create a family group.
- It will display some suggestions, but you can type in a name or an email to choose specific people.
- You can invite up to five family members, as long as they have Google accounts.
- The person you invited will be sent an email, and you’ll be emailed when they accept the invitation. (The invitation will expire in two weeks)
After that, you can set your shared storage to work properly. Here’s how to do it,
- In your Google One account, click on the Settings icon on the left side.
- Under the “Manage Family Settings” drop-down you’ll find “Share Google One with family” under it, turn it on.
- For enabling the shared storage, look for “Share Google One with family” after entering the settings area.
In conclusion, if the free 15GB storage of your family members run out, they can now use your extra storage.
However, you’ll not have access to their files unless they share them directly with you.
If you want to see how much of your store each family member is using, go to your Google One account, click on “Storage” on the left side, and select the down arrow next to “Family Storage.”